Applications are welcome via the Harvard Careers online portal: https://hr.harvard.edu/search-jobs.
Note that at this time, Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Senior Grants Manager
Harvard Medical School
405007 Financial Professional (N)
Duties & Responsibilities
• The Senior Grants Manager is responsible for all pre-award and post-award management.
• In total, the position is responsible for managing the funding portfolios and grant applications process for approximately 4-5 Principal Investigators, including financial management, budget preparation, compliance with University policy and sponsor’s terms and conditions, and reporting issues that arise during the life of the award.
• A portfolio consists primarily of externally sponsored research but also includes non-sponsored accounts such as start-up funds, gifts, and administrative funds.
• Proactively establish relationships with Principal Investigators and their laboratory or administrative assistants and maintain effective communication, anticipating changes in future funding that could impact the portfolio.
• Maintain a list of grant deadlines and work with PI's to ensure application deadlines are met.
• Provide superior customer service and ensure team provides superior service.
• Work closely with the Principal Investigator or the OSP and ORA staff, if necessary, to review new awards, set up budgets, and provide guidance on policy or to communicate with agencies when necessary.
• Oversee the timely entry of budgets into GMAS Budget Tool.
• Interpret complex terms and conditions and apply an understanding of federal regulations.
• Responsible for setting up budgets, development of financial projections for all accounts within the portfolio, monitoring account balances, reconciling accounts on a monthly basis, ensuring the timely closeout of accounts, and processing financial transactions including payables, receivables, general ledger entries and transfers, credit vouchers, and review of Purchasing Card transactions.
• Ensure that team members consistently follow internal processes, utilize the best available tools and practices, and maintain accurate and complete files.
• Additional tasks include approving purchases, reimbursements, and training team members and Lab Administrators to use HCOM and Concur.
• This position would also provide backup support for the Assistant Finance Manager.
• Bachelor's degree in accounting, business or three or more years of related work experience.
• Financial/accounting background strongly preferred.
• Previous Harvard experience very helpful.
• Proficiency in Excel, MS Word, AdobeAcrobat and adaptability with new web-based tools.
• Experience with Oracle financial systems is a plus.
• Strong analytical ability as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Must be self-directed, team-oriented, and customer focused.
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities.
• Ability to manage difficult discussions with faculty.
• Knowledge of federal regulations and guidelines for sponsored research is preferred.
• This position is responsible for making decisions, with faculty, related to budget development, sponsor/University financial compliance, and reporting, on a daily basis.
• Sound decision-making and good judgment in these areas is crucial to the success of the department's and faculty's continued funding efforts.
• The size of the budget the position will be responsible for managing, coordinating, analyzing and reporting on will be around $5 million.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
• Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
• Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
• Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.\
• Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
• Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
• Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
• Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
USA - MA - Boston
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
35 hours per week. Monday - Friday. 7 hours per day.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.