Laboratory Manager / Technician
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
We are seeking a highly motivated and capable individual to carry out lab management and experimental research in Dr. Danesh Moazed’s laboratory at Harvard Medical School. This position provides an excellent opportunity to combine technical/scientific and administrative responsibilities. It is suited for a dedicated individual who seeks experience running a laboratory and spending time at the bench. This is a key position in the laboratory as the individual will have the primary responsibility for ensuring that the lab operates in an efficient and organized manner.
Dr. Moazed’s laboratory is investigating the mechanisms that govern the assembly and epigenetic inheritance of silent chromatin domains. The laboratory uses biochemical, structural, genetic, computational, and high throughput approaches to study epigenetic inheritance in yeast and mammalian model organisms.
- Manage the day-to-day activities within the laboratory; assure effective operation of equipment and availability of required supplies and maintain compliance with all policies and regulations
- Maintain and inventory collection of scientific materials (i.e., plasmids, strains, etc.) and ship requested reagents
- Act as a liaison between laboratory, HHMI staff and host institution staff on issues such as equipment inventories and procurement initiatives
- Act as a liaison between laboratory and host safety and animal care regulatory offices to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations; Serve as laboratory safety officer
- Prepare media and stock solutions
- Maintain lab organization, order and stock supplies and equipment; Collaborate with Investigator and grants managers to ensure appropriate spending levels
- Process reimbursements for laboratory members and visitors
- Carry out research projects in collaboration with other lab members
- Train incoming personnel in proper lab conduct and experimental techniques
- Update lab webpage
- BS/BA in biochemistry, biology, or related fields
- Proven knowledge and work experience with molecular biology and biochemistry techniques, including DNA isolation, subcloning, PCR, and protein purification, and willingness to learn new techniques
- Organization skills and ability to plan effectively
- Strong communication and record keeping skills
- Knowledge of computer and MS office software
- Must be a team player able to interact effectively with a large group and work independently
Follow this Link to upload your cover letter and CV.
HHMI is an EOE